Friday, October 21, 2011

Harvard and Hockey

After eventually getting onto the correct 'T' line (the subway) thanks to the help of a very kind attendant who loaded up a 'Charlie Card' (multi-rider) for us, we were on our way to the famous institution of learning that is Harvard University. We took the free official tour - led by Harvard undergraduates, it runs at 10, 12 and 2 and involves a roughly one-hour guided walk through Harvard Yard. The tour itself was great. Our guide was knowledgeable and informative, and he even had a sense of humour, which was even more impressive given that his 'concentration' (major) is computer science... Harvard itself, though, was somewhat underwhelming. I can feel the outrage already, so let me clarify. I'm sure it's a shining beacon in the often badly-lit world of academia, but the grounds were simply a bit lacklustre. The original benefactor of Harvard, John Harvard, may have studied at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, but Harvard is no Cambridge in appearance. Harvard Yard was pretty, but not impressive. Actually, it barely gave UWA a run for its money and made me realise just how much I've taken the campus for granted over the past millennium of my studies.

Daniel in Harvard Yard
I was going to move on but the above photo has reminded me that I wanted to comment on the students. I don't know about you, but I always imagined them as a mature, scholarly-looking bunch wearing tweed jackets with elbow patches. Not so. The buildings in Harvard Yard are used as freshman dormitories, so there were eighteen-year-old kids running around everywhere. Dan and I are both feeling really old.

That evening we went to a hockey game (you can't call it ice hockey - you'll out yourself as someone who hasn't got a clue). The Boston Bruins versus the North Carolina Hurricanes was a fantastic way to spend a couple of hundred dollars. It began with a show of civility in the form of the Star Spangled Banner. They really do take their hats off and hold their hands to their hearts, but my goodness it sounded like there were whales drowning.

The National Anthem
What followed was mayhem, madness and misconduct. At one point half the Bruins were in the sin bin, leaving the Hurricanes to demolish the other half, and the crowd tried to start a riot by throwing stuff onto the ice. Needless to say, the Bruins lost, though not before the Hurricanes coach was ordered out of the stadium for misbehaving. A lot of fun. I sat next to a very nice gentleman from North Carolina who tried to explain the game to me and called me ma'am every time he got a chance.

FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!
All in all a brilliant evening, and we're currently deciding which game to go to next.

No comments:

Post a Comment